Sunday, July 25, 2010

Seeking Happiness

Quote
"Seeking happiness outside ourselves is like waiting for sunshine in a cave facing north."
-Tibetan saying

My Thoughts
I appreciate all of the feedback I received from last week's message. I believe some people perhaps misunderstood the meaning of the message. Some people were worrying that I may be feeling depressed or that I could possibly become depressed. I assure you that there is no need to worry.

You see, I am not seeking happiness because true happiness cannot be sought. True happiness resides within you, however it takes a shift in perception to become aware of it. You may believe that a Mercedes S600, a 5000 sq ft/140 pyong apartment, and flying first class will bring you happiness. Those things will bring comfort but they won't bring true happiness. Why? Because all of those things can be taken from you.

Much of your happiness depends on your attitude towards life. Do you tend to see hope or despair? Do you tend to see love or hate? Do you tend to see opportunities or obstacles?
The answers to these questions will give you clues into what your attitude looks like.

What has helped me?

First, I recommend you read every day. I also encourage going back and reading over books that have helped you in your past. You will see new information each time you read a book over.
Some books I recommend:
"Think and Grow Rich" by Napoleon Hill
"Man's Search for Meaning" by Viktor Frankl
"Psycho-Cybernetics" by Maxwell Maltz
"Building Your Field of Dreams" by Mary Morrissey
"You Were Born Rich" by Bob Proctor
"The 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership" by John Maxwell
"The Power of Intention" by Wayne Dyer
"The Success Principles" by Jack Canfield
I would keep going but those are enough to keep most people occupied for the time being.

Second, I highly recommend meditation. There are probably hundreds of different forms of meditation. I would guess each of them has their own benefits. I personally have been using Zen meditation for the past six months. I meditate for 5 - 60 minutes every day. I suggest starting with five minutes every day. Meditation really helps bring inner peace and also allows for a deeper connection with your source.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment