Monday, August 9, 2010

Focus

Quote
"One reason so few of us achieve what we truly want is that we never direct our focus; we never concentrate our power. Most people dabble their way through life, never deciding to master anything in particular. "
-Anthony Robbins

My Thoughts
I went to a meeting on Friday with a very diverse group of people. The group was made up of very successful business owners, authors, professors, professional speakers, CEO's, and a few people that were on their way up in their respective organizations.

One gentlemen I met was the COO of a successful Korean company. But that's not what made him interesting, the interesting thing about him was he is a magician in his spare time. Yes, a magician.
How did I find this out?
Well, he took my business card and made it disappear in all sorts of different ways.
I honestly had no idea how he pulled off the trick so well multiple times right in front of me.
He then showed me how he did the trick.

The funny thing is after he showed me how to do it, it became very obvious where the card was during the trick. Why? Because instead of him directing my focus away from where he hid the card, my focus was widened and taking in more than what he wanted me to see.

I started to think about how many people or things in our life also take away our focus?
Think about how many times you may have wanted to start something. You get all excited and then you lose focus. You get distracted. It could be because some other interest took it away or maybe someone discouraged you. Perhaps someone told you that you can't do it.

If you continually allow other people to hold you back, or you allow other things (TV, video games, going out partying, etc...) to distract you, then you will never achieve your fullest potential.

If you have something that needs to be accomplished and you are not completing it, then I recommend making a list of where your time is going. How much time are you devoting to different activities?
You may be surprised at the results.
Once you realize where all of your time is going you can start taking steps to correct it.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment