Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Confronting Reality

News
No new updates for this week.

Quote

“At the center of your being
you have the answer;
you know who you are
and you know what you want.”
-Lao Tzu

My Thoughts

I touched on this topic a few weeks ago. You have the answers to the deep questions of life inside you already. The best way I have found to hear the answers is to follow your intuition and one of the best ways to follow your intuition is to quiet your mind. The method that I happen to use to quiet my mind is through meditation.

With that being said, there is another topic that I'd like to touch on this week. It is a topic that oftentimes comes up during my coaching sessions. It is one that I think has a lot of people that are interested in personal growth confused.
I am talking about ignoring reality.

In order for true, lasting growth to happen we need to be aware of our current situation. We can't ignore it. If we do, it will eventually catch up to us.

You may be thinking, "Yes, that is obvious.". But sometimes people do it without fully realizing they are doing it.
I'll give you an example. A person thinks they should feel happy (or if not happy, at least good) all the time. When they start feeling down, they ignore it by saying that they feel great. Inside they don't really feel great and they end up feeling bad about feeling bad. This then tends to pull the person down further because they think that they "should" be feeling good. The whole idea of using the word "should" is a topic for another message.

The point here is that some people in the personal growth industry are always talking about how you need to use empowering words all the time and never say certain things. I agree that words can have power and meaning. I disagree with the fact that we need to use them all the time.

If you are feeling down or not so great:
1. Admit it. Recognize the situation that you are in.
2. Write out the things you are grateful for.
3. Realize that your situation can get better.
4. Then you can start to look at the words you are using to describe yourself and your situation.

There are several ways to do step 3. To keep this message short, I'll share one of those ways. You can compare yourself to someone  (which people usually do anyway, but often they are comparing the things they don't have to someone that is perceived to be better off thus making them feel not good). The method to do this is: Is my situation really that bad...compared to what? For example: Is my situation really that bad compared to the homeless person I see every morning?

Remember that somebody somewhere is wishing or praying for the things that you take for granted.

Have an excellent week!



No comments:

Post a Comment