Monday, May 17, 2010

Finding Your Passion

Quote
"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle."
-Steve Jobs

My Thoughts
Do you love what you do? That is a very common question which has probably been asked to you numerous times. Perhaps you have answered it honestly or perhaps not. However it is a great question to ask yourself from time to time. If you don't love what you do then what are you doing it for?

A very common question that comes up during coaching is "What if I don't know what I love to do?".
The good news for those that ask is that they are seeking answers. This is the beginning of change. Admitting that you are dissatisfied with your current position.

So, how do you find your passion? One way is through much introspection. Asking yourself questions like: "What makes me feel the most alive?", "What would I do if I absolutely knew I wasn't going to fail?", "What am I interested in?", etc...

Another way is exploring different paths. I didn't know my passion ten years ago, I didn't know it five years ago. The important thing is that you keep going. Try different things and see what excites you.
In no particular order, here are some of the things I have explored: mechanic, secretary, soldier, intelligence analyst, computer technician, English teacher, defense contractor.
It wasn't until around three years ago that I started to realize where my passion was.

Once you start to recognize your passion you basically have two options.
You can decide that you are going to pursue that as your life's work.
Or, you can keep making excuses for why you will never be able to pursue your passion.
While you will certainly meet challenges choosing the first option, your life will have much more meaning.
The second option will probably appear more comfortable, but in the end your life will lack meaning.
This will lead to misery.

I encourage all of you that are wanting to find your passion to combine both approaches. Over time you will start to see which area(s) you are passionate about.
Then it is up to you to make a decision.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment