Sunday, December 12, 2010

Gratitude

News
Some upcoming events to think about:
Saturday, January 8th: Health Workshop
Thursday, January 13th: Six Week Professional Speaking Course
We may also have a Saturday speaking course or mastermind course.

Quote
"I cried because I had no shoes until I met a man who had no feet."
-Persian Proverb possibly from the poet Sa'di

My Thoughts
Do you find yourself often complaining about what you don't have? Or complaining about the situation you are in?
This quote is reminding us to be grateful for what we do have. Remember to ask yourself the question "Compared to what?".
For example: I am poor/My life is horrible/The economy is bad/etc...So ask: I am poor...compared to what?/My life is horrible....compared to what?/The economy is bad....compared to what?
This can help you switch your perception.
Ex:
A: I am poor.
B: Compared to what?
A: Compared to everyone around me making xxxxx.
B: What about if you changed comparisons? Perhaps compare yourself with the homeless person you see outside the subway every morning. Are you poor compared to him?

Be grateful for everything that you have. I encourage you to write down at least ten things you are grateful for every day. Try it out for the next 30 days straight and see how it changes you. I did this for 90 days straight last year and the change was phenomenal.
By the way, I am not suggesting you completely downplay or ignore your current situation, but it helps when you put it into perspective. Things tend not to be as bad as we think.

Now you may wonder "If I am grateful for what I have, why do you suggest that I set goals?". "Why try to attain something I don't have?" "Won't that make me depressed because I don't have it?"
Great questions.
I will answer those in next week's message.

Have an awesome week.

No comments:

Post a Comment