Sunday, June 26, 2011

Living in the Moment

News
No new updates for this week.

Quote
"Live each moment completely and the future will take care of itself. Fully enjoy the wonder and beauty of each moment."
- Paramahansa Yogananda

My Thoughts
Living in the present can certainly be a challenge. Most people are either stuck in the past or worrying about the future.....or both. But the more you live in the present moment you will find your stress levels drop and you will realize true happiness.

A common question I get asked is how can I live in the present moment and still set goals? A few years ago this was a question that I struggled with myself. I'll share my current understanding with you.

I have goals in different areas of my life but I'll use a financial one as an example. As a business owner my only source of income comes from my business. With that being said the burden of responsibility is on me to generate my own income every month. If, for whatever reason, I fail to generate income for that month then I don't receive any money. Think about that for a moment I could put in 60-80 hours a week for a month and I may not receive any monetary compensation. I tell you this to illustrate the point that it could be a source of serious stress.

So, every month I have a financial goal that I work towards and I have an overall yearly financial goal. I do all the goal setting techniques that I've mentioned before: I set the goal and date it, I read it aloud at least twice a day with emotion (saying it in the present tense), etc..But I do my best to live in the present moment. How? I just keep taking action and I don't worry about the goal. If I can truly be in the moment then I will be devoting myself 100% to whatever action I happen to be taking at that moment. If I am devoting myself 100% to that action then the action will be much more effective. If I can continue to take much more effective action then it will have a much greater impact on my future.

Of course it is not always easy to remain in the present moment and I have certainly not mastered it yet. Meditation is what really helped me with this.

I encourage you this week to try to live in the moment, even if you can only do it for a few minutes each day. Like all things this is a habit that will take time to develop.

Have a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment