Sunday, October 31, 2010

Fears

I've decided that I will start posting news updates for One Amazing Life in here as well.

I hope you had an amazing weekend.

News
I've decided to change things around a bit. The mastermind course will be postponed.
Instead I am going to offer a six week professional speaking course.
It will start Wednesday, November 10th at 7:30pm and finish on Wednesday, December 15th.
Each class will last for two hours.

For those that are not familiar with my speaking background, here is some information:
-My two year coaching certification included training in professional speaking from two professional speakers certified through the Bill Gove speech workshop. This is the best school to attend if you want to become a professional speaker.
-I have prepared and conducted numerous 1-4 hour seminars/workshops for individuals, companies, universities, etc..
-I currently teach a Presentation Skills course to Korea University's Executive MBA program.
-I also teach professional speaking/presentation skills to a VP and a CMO at two of Korea's largest companies.
-I placed first out of a field of 50 in a presentation competition done for the US Army.

Some benefits of attending this course:
-Build self confidence and greatly reduce your fear of speaking in public.
-Learn how to prepare content and connect with any audience.
-Increased leadership skills.
-Understand how to effectively deliver you message.
-Potential to get promoted in whatever field you are in.

I am also a member of Toastmasters. Toastmasters is a great way to bring your public speaking level up to a competent level and I highly encourage you to visit a meeting sometime. I am a member of KH Toastmasters here in Korea. You can check out their website here:
http://khtoastmasters.com

However, Toastmasters can only take you so far. This course takes you to a whole different level.
My normal fee for this is a minimum of 100,000 won an hour. In this case this course would normally run 1,200,000 won.
However, I want to make this as accessible as possible to everyone so the entire 12 hour course will cost only 300,000 won. That is a savings of 75%.
I am also limiting the group size to eight people.
By the way, you do not have to have any experience in public speaking to attend this course.

Here is an example of week 1:
Audience Issues
How to connect with the four different types of people found in any audience.<--This will also help you at work, in relationships, with friends, etc..
What happens if you don't connect with these people.
Examples of how to do an unscripted speech.
Each student delivers a very short unprepared speech.
etc..

If you notice almost all leaders in any organization also tend to be great speakers. It doesn't happen by accident. So if you would like to greatly enhance your professional speaking abilities send me an email here:
bob@oneamazinglife.com

Quote
"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live."
-George Bernard Shaw

My Thoughts
Many times people get so caught up in fearful thinking that it paralyzes their ability to move forward and make progress. Of course there are many types of fear, but I think fear of poverty really clouds many people thinking. It keeps people working at jobs they dislike for years and years hoping that one day luck will somehow find them and they will be rich or at least doing something they like.

Fear can inhibit our ability to reason properly. For example: I have a fear of spiders. Now I know logically that a non-poisonous spider will do no harm to me. However, if a spider were crawling up my arm I would run out of the room, screaming like a little child. Of course this is a very unreasonable reaction.

The same thing happens when you have a fear of poverty, or a fear of what others may say, or a fear of failure. You actually talk yourself into staying at a job you dislike doing work that you hate for a boss you can't stand. And the funny thing is you think it's reasonable.

What do I recommend?

Stop focusing on the fear and start focusing on what you want to do. What inspires you? What are you passionate about? As Steve Jobs said back in 2008 (paraphrased) "If you were going to die today would you be doing what your about to do?".
I am not saying it's easy to follow your heart, but I guarantee you will feel more alive.

When was the last time you really felt alive?

Have a great week.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment