Sunday, October 17, 2010

What is Success?

Quote
"Success is the progressive realization of a worthy goal or ideal"
-Earl Nightingale

My Thoughts
I really think this quote sums up success beautifully. Success is whatever you define it as. Your definition of success may differ from someone else's definition. For some people success relates to money, for others it relates to health, and still others it may be family. It could also be keeping the many different areas of your life in balance.

For example: If you define success as being a great parent, then as long as you are doing your best at pursuing that goal then you are successful. On the other hand, maybe a business owner defines success as delivering great value to his/her customers while being able to provide for himself/herself. Perhaps he/she doesn't want children. Two different people with two different ideas of success and yet both are successful.
As long as you are holding true to your values and your definition of success then you are successful.
This is assuming of course that you are not stepping on other people to get ahead. Note the use of the word "worthy".

One other thing to remember is that success is a journey. It's not an end point. I also believe as we go through life our notion of what success is changes. As our awareness grows we tend to view the world and what is meaningful for us differently.

The question I would like to pose is do you know what is your worthy goal or ideal?
If the answer is no, don't worry. It's inside of you somewhere.
Another question you may ask is "If I absolutely knew I wouldn't fail, what would I be doing?".
The answer to that question may start to give you clues about your worthy goal or ideal.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. "If I absolutely knew I wouldn't fail, what would I be doing?".

    I have to admit my first thought to this was flirting. I wish I had a different first thought since this relies on someone else and not myself.

    ReplyDelete