Monday, January 31, 2011

Facing Fear

News
The Professional Speaking Course will start on Thursday, February 10th at 7:30pm. If you or anyone you know is interested in attending please email me: bob@oneamazinglife.com

Quote
“Do the thing you fear, and the death of fear is certain”
-Emerson

My Thoughts
This quote certainly rang true for me all of last week. I spent last week dropping in on companies. What do I mean by that? Well, I did some basic research on a company and then I showed up at their location with no appointment and asked to speak with the CEO. Sounds so simple, but certainly not an easy task.

I woke up on Monday morning feeling very nervous at the task that lay ahead of me. I was set to go to five companies. Five places I had never been before and meet with the CEOs. Immediately excuses started filling my head: I didn't sleep enough, it's too cold, I need more practice, etc...But I pushed them aside and left on my journey.
As I was standing outside of the first place, the nervousness really kicked in and then came negativity. Thoughts of: this will never work, I was crazy to believe in this idea, I will be laughed out of the building, etc...I stood there staring at my future, the only thing holding me back was myself. I knew I had to go through with it. I knew the experience would make me grow. So up the stairs I went and walked right into the office. Interestingly enough my nervousness left me after I started talking. So, last week I repeated that scenario 16 more times. Each time it became easier and easier. Tomorrow I will do it 3-5 times.

Are fears holding you back from achieving your dreams? If so, ask yourself are those fears based on reality or are they imaginary? Usually you will find they are imaginary. Facing your fears will cause you to grow.

So if some fear is holding you back I challenge you to do the thing you fear. Once you conquer it you will find a strength inside of you. A strength that has always been there but perhaps has been dormant for years.

Have an amazing week and a great holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment