Sunday, February 6, 2011

Criticism

News
The 6-Week Professional speaking course starts on Thursday, February 10th at 7:30pm. This is for anyone that is interested in increasing their ability to stand up and speak in front of any size audience. If you would like to register for the course, please email: bob@oneamazinglife.com

Quote
“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; because there is not effort without error and shortcomings; but who does actually strive to do the deed; who knows the great enthusiasm, the great devotion, who spends himself in a worthy cause, who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement and who at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly. So that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.”
-Theodore Roosevelt

Thoughts
Before I share my thoughts, I would like to update you on my progress from last week since I received some emails asking about that. In total I've visited 20 companies. Out of 20 I was able to sit down and talk with about 10 of them. Two of the companies are looking at starting the coaching program soon. Very nice progress so far. Next week I have two incredibly important meetings with new companies, plus I'll stop by about 10-15.

Regarding criticism, it seems that everyone has an opinion about something regardless if they are actually experienced/qualified in the area they are discussing. There will always be people that tell you that you can't do something, or be something, or have something.

As a matter of fact, even some of the people closest to me have told me to give up what I am doing. I've recently been hearing "Go back and do defense contracting because it's more comfortable for you and you can make a ton of money.". Actually, two weeks ago I was offered $300,000 for one year to go back into my old field and work in a semi-dangerous area. I turned it down. Why? Because I have a vision and I am taking action on that vision.

So how can you handle criticism?

It's important to remember that most times when people criticize you they are often trying to protect you. They don't want to see you get hurt. Of course there may be a few that do it out of jealousy. If you are growing and they are not, then they may feel threatened. Ultimately, the best thing you can do is show them through your action. If someone says you can't be, do, or have something, then instead of arguing that you can do it. Show them. Go out and do it.

Have an awesome week.

No comments:

Post a Comment