Sunday, March 13, 2011

Committment

To the readers in Japan: I wish you well during this trying time.

News
No new updates for this week.

Quote
"There's a difference between interest and commitment. When you're interested in doing something, you do it only when circumstance permit. When you're committed to something, you accept no excuses, only results."
-Unknown

Thoughts
I wrote the following with the assumption that you actually want what you are seeking (example: You think you need an MBA because so-and-so told you that you do. You say you want to get it, although deep down inside you don't really want to).

Do you find yourself unable to achieve whatever it is that you desire? Perhaps you would like more money, better health, better relationships, etc... but you keep coming up short. You say you've tried your best but it's still not working.
Where can you look for answers?

Two places: Time and Money.

I hear these two excuses the most:
1. I am so busy, I don't have time to do xxxx.
2. I don't have enough money for xxxx.

Time is obviously much more important than money because you can never get time back. So, where do you spend your time? Let's suppose on a typical weekday:
You work 9 hours a day.
You sleep 8 hours.
This leaves you with 7 hours free.
What are you doing with that time? Are you taking effective action?
Of course that doesn't include the weekends which, assuming you don't work on the weekends, means that you have 16 hours of free time on Saturday and 16 hours of free time on Sunday.

So if we add all that up we get 67 hours of free time every week. You get to choose how you use this time. Are you using it to achieve something that you want, or are you wasting it?

The other area you need to look at is money. Where is your money going? Is it going to an area that will move you closer to your desired goal?

Most people say they don't have money for:
Coaching, Training Courses, Personal Trainers, School, etc...

However these same people find money to:
Go out drinking, buy new clothes, shoes, phones, computers, etc...

They have the money they just haven't committed to their goal yet.

Let's use an example:
When I decided to get my coaching certification I was working as an analyst for a defense contractor. My schedule during the week usually looked like this:
Work: 9 hours a day
Gym: 1.5 hours a day (5 days a week)
Sleep: 7 hours a day

That left me with 6.5 hours of free time during a typical weekday.

However I felt I needed to unwind after work. Sound familiar?

So what was I doing with that extra time? In order: Playing video games, Watching TV, Mindlessly browsing the Internet, Occasionally reading a book. Or: Going out and partying.

Then one day I made a decision. I decided that I was committed to pursuing the coaching certification and I was committed to starting my own business.

Here is what my schedule looked like immediately after I made this decision: In order: Coaching training calls, Reading books related to my field, Research.

Since that time I have not played video games and I don't watch TV. Both were not in line with my future goals.

What about money (after paying rent and necessities)?

Before the decision: Partying, Car related items, Workout related items.

After the decision: Coaching certification, Books, Other training courses, Workout related items.

As you can see there was a big shift in priorities. Don't get me wrong, you do need time to relax. However, most people put way too much time and money in that category if they plan on achieving big goals.

The point here is if you want to break out of your current circumstances and start making your dreams become a reality, then you have to stop making excuses.

If you are not getting the results that you want, then I encourage all of you to take a serious look at where you are spending your time and money.

Have an excellent week.



No comments:

Post a Comment