Sunday, March 27, 2011

Opinions

News
No new updates for this week.

Quote
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something.”
-Plato

Thoughts
Did you ever meet someone and you knew that you should just keep quiet and listen to what they have to say? Personally I have more than a few times so far in my life. However, I think sometimes people get so concerned with stating their own opinion that they never actually listen to what the other person is saying.

It's interesting that almost everyone has an opinion about everything regardless if they have even the slightest knowledge of the subject matter. People will spout off their opinions at anyone that is willing to listen. People give relationship advice, even though they've been in a string of bad relationships. Perhaps they would be better suited to tell you what you shouldn't do. People give health/workout related advice even though they haven't maintained a workout program for any decent amount of time.

The one that I find most interesting of all is business advice. Someone decides they are going to start a business and all of a sudden everyone around you is an expert. Most will give you a list of reasons why your business will fail and yet most of the time these people have never run their own business. Even the so called experts aren't always right. I'll share two stories with you. One from 2008 and one from one of my recent meetings.

In 2008, while I was still a defense contractor, I was in Tokyo for a few months doing some analysis work. One night I was out at a bar with a coworker of mine and this group of older business women walked in. The oldest one of the group sat down next to me and it turns out she was American. Now I had no idea what this woman did for a living but it appeared she was well known in Tokyo. Anyway, we get to talking and she asked me what I planned on doing over the next five years. I mentioned that I was gong to start a business and eventually a health club. She proceeded to tell me why that will never work (and she knew a vast amount of information related to the health club industry in Korea). So she gives me her business card and it turns out that she was the Asia-Pacific President of a huge international market research company. So she was a recognized expert in her field. And she asked me if that changed my mind. I said no it doesn't. She told me I was a fool and it would be the worst decision I ever made. Anyway, I eventually told her when I become successful I would come back and defecate on her desk. At that point she smiled. She shook my hand and said "Congrats, you will be successful as long as you maintain that attitude.". She then explained that market research can explain almost everything, but one thing that is hard to take into account is passion. She said with enough passion and persistence that anything is possible. With that her and her entourage left.

Now flash forward to 2011. I was in a meeting with the director of a market research company. He proceeds to tell me for almost 30 minutes why this business approach I am taking will never work in Korea. He then tells me to stop wasting my time and give up. He is an expert in his field and he was very adamant in his argument. Did I follow his advice? Of course not. Shortly after this meeting I sold two coaching/training packages to two companies. The funny thing is one of them is one of their rivals. It is another market research company that is ranked higher than them. I now have eight other proposals out. I would say that half of them are looking very good.

What is the point of all this? If you want to make a decision, consult yourself first. Do you really want whatever it is that you are trying to make a decision about? Who knows you better than you? If you decide to seek advice make sure you seek a worthy source. After all, asking someone who is always in debt for financial advice is probably not the best idea.

Have an amazing week.

No comments:

Post a Comment