Monday, April 4, 2011

Taking Responsibilty

News
Many people have inquired about when I will be doing another Mastermind Course. The great news is that I've decided to start one on Wednesday, April 13th.

This course is a great way to get introduced into coaching.

You should seriously consider joining if you've struggled with areas such as:
Goal Setting & Achieving
Decision Making
Procrastination
Fear
Persistence
Self-Confidence

We meet once a week for about two hours and discuss the above topics as well as many others in detail. The meetings typically last two hours and are held in a group discussion format.

The course is based on Napoleon Hill's classic book 'Think and Grow Rich'.

Details
When: Wednesday, April 13th - Wednesday, May 18th
Time: 7:00 - 9:00pm
Location: One Amazing Life (2 minutes away from Sinsa station)
Participants: 6-10

As I mentioned before my normal fee for corporate coaching is 300,000 - 600,000 per hour, however I want to make this as affordable as possible to individuals.
Price: 200,000 won for the entire 12-14 hour course.

With that being said, I've also decided that if you register for the course by Sunday, April 10th you will receive 25% off. That means the entire course can be had for a small investment of 150,000 won.

We also offer flexible payment plans.

To register for the course, or if you have any questions, please email me:
bob@oneamazinglife.com

You can download the course outline by going to:
www.oneamazinglife.com-->English-->Menu-->How-->Mastermind Groups
Then click on .pdf at the bottom of the page.

Quote
“Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her: but once they are in hand, he or she alone must decide how to play the cards in order to win the game.”
-Voltaire

Thoughts
Life isn't fair. Some people were born into wealthy families, others into extreme poverty. Some people were born healthy, able to use all of their mental faculties and limbs, others were born blind/deaf/handicapped. Some people were born stereotypically good looking, others were not.
I am sure all of you realize this.

The question is what are you going to do about it?

I'll share a story with you.

After my mother died when I was 13 my father remarried less than a year later. That marriage meant I now had two stepbrothers and one stepsister. All of them were 7-10 years older than me.

My stepsister was an alcoholic and a drug addict. She had a daughter that was born in 1990. However my stepsister continued to do cocaine (along with other things) during much of her pregnancy so when her daughter was born she was very small and doctors said she would have serious mental problems.

So when I first met my stepsister's daughter she was almost 4 years old. She had autism. Up until that point she had never spoken a single word. Doctors said that she would never be able to put sentences together and she would be stuck mentally at age 3 her whole life. Over the next year my father and stepmother adopted my stepsister's daughter which made her my stepsister. I was almost 15 years old at this point and time.

Now the thing was my father was a very busy guy. He was a truck driver and he worked a ton of hours, so he didn't have time to really give his new stepdaughter the amount of attention she needed. My stepmother was preoccupied with other things in life. The other thing was we didn't have enough money to send her to a school that would have really helped her.

So, I decided that maybe I could help my new stepsister somehow. Don't get me wrong I was not some kind of saint. It was more out of wanting to help another human being plus curiosity. I read a lot when I was a teenager (I still do). In all the reading I had done I came across stories of people that overcame great adversities.
I refused to believe that it was impossible for her not to be able to grow.

Every night I would talk to her. I would help her do her homework. I taught her how to tie her shoes (which was no easy task). Eventually she started speaking coherent words. Then she started stringing sentences together. It was an incredible experience.

By the time I left for the military when I was 18 she was able to do many normal things on her own. She was almost 9 years old at the time and according to doctors mentally she was around 6-7. Today she is 21 years old, mentally around 12. Unfortunately, when I left people didn't work with her as closely as I was able to so her progress slowed dramatically. However, it is still quite impressive considering doctors just wrote her off in the beginning.

Obviously, there are numerous points to the story above.
I would like you to take away two things from this:
1. Just because people say something is impossible doesn't mean it is true.
2. Regardless of the circumstances that you were born with, or that have happened to you, you can rise above them and achieve whatever you truly desire.

Have a phenomenal week.



2 comments:

  1. Wow, cool story about your stepsister - the progress part, of course. Maybe that was the kernel that got you thinking that you can effect change in yourself and others! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were a brave young man. I agree with both of your points. You talked about how people were born into some stereotypical situations, and that statement spoke to me. If I didn't do something about it, I probably wouldn't be alive right now. I grew up in some of the toughest parts of the city in Chicago. With will-power and faith, one can overcome any situation. Thanks for sharing your experience!^^

    ReplyDelete