Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Introspection

News
No new updates for this week.

Quote
"No one can give you better advice than yourself."
-Cicero

My Thoughts
What should I do with my life? Should I break up with him/her? Should I date him/her? Should I quit my job? Should I move to a different place? And this list could go on and on.

These are the types of questions I hear in coaching quite often. My answer is always the same.
I don't know. As a coach it is not my role to tell you what I think you should do with your life. You probably have enough people giving you advice already. One huge step to growth is making your own decisions and then taking responsibility for them. The answers you seek are within. You need to be willing to explore yourself to find these answers and then take action on them.

Incidentally, this is why CEOs and senior executives (most of them anyway) get paid a lot more than the average employee. It's for the decisions they have to make on a daily basis. One client I worked with was a senior executive in a large conglomerate. He informed me that almost everyday he had to make decisions that could cost his company millions of dollars and affect the lives of 100's of employees, and he had to make those decisions quickly.

People often ask how did I end up leaving such a great job a few years ago. Wasn't the decision hard to make? If I hadn't had training as a coach I think it would have been more difficult. I set a deadline for two weeks after I first heard about this opportunity. I told myself on that day I would definitely give a yes or no answer. I ended up making the decision three days later.
Then I didn't change my mind.

As a coach, I ask questions. Questions that many people could ask themselves but either they never set the time aside to ask themselves and/or they don't know exactly what to ask. Sometimes they may not want to face the answers that come up. As a coach, I also hold people accountable for the actions they say they will take.

I encourage you to set some time aside for introspection. I recommend at least one hour per week. Ideally that one hour would be continuous, uninterrupted time. Write down whatever answers come to you.

Here are just a few questions I recommend in no particular order:
- What are different ways in which you could approach this issue?
- What is it that you want to achieve?
- Where do you see yourself a year from now?
- What obstacles are holding you back at the moment?
- What action can you take on this matter?







No comments:

Post a Comment